Piltdown Golf Club Piltdown Golf Club
Piltdown Golf Club
18 Holes open, 2 temps, trolleys allowed, no Buggies. Thankyou (updated 22 March at 06:35)

The story of Piltdown Golf Club has some unusual features.  First, it was initiated in 1904 by Count Munster, a German aristocrat who lived in nearby Maresfield Park. He persuaded the owners of Piltdown Common to lease some of their land, and hired one of his tenants, a farmer named George Varnum, to carve a course out of the wild gorse and heather.  Miraculously Varnum had ten holes ready in a few months.  The famous Open Champion JH Taylor completed the eighteen a few years later. Varnum was the first greenkeeper, his wife the steward, and their farmhouse became the clubhouse - much extended now but still distinctly reflecting its origins. The Varnums’ daughter married the first pro, Ted Blunden, and since his retirement in 1963 there have been only two other professionals.

In 1938 the club bought the freehold of the whole common, including the delightful Piltdown Pond.  Some of the trees which used to surround the Pond have been cleared so that the view can be enjoyed - and a slice can find the water.

There are no sand bunkers at Piltdown; the heather is considered a sufficient defence. Keeping the heather strong is therefore important.  A number of heather banks have been added in recent years to strengthen the character of the holes and provoke thought. Seven greens were rebuilt in the autumn of 2013, to improve their drainage and speed, and seven more are due for the same treatment in 2014. 

For a fuller account of the club’s origins and development, please click here.




 Bar and Dining Room



  © Piltdown Golf Club
CLUB View CMS developed by WEBCreative UK